WIB Sector Strategies
Advanced Manufacturing represents goods-producing firms that utilize new approaches (Six Sigma, Lean Manufacturing, JIT) and technologies to maximize efficiencies and economic impacts.
County Employment: High Wage Potential
Among private sector employers in Tulare County, manufacturing ranks only slightly behind agriculture and health care in employment. In 2010, manufacturing had a Gross Regional Output of more than $1.1 billion, and an average compensation of over $55,000 per year. In fact, in 2010, the manufacturing sector in Tulare County had higher gross exports than even agriculture, according to EMSI.
According to EMSI, manufacturing accounted for approximately 11,000 jobs in Tulare County in 2011, with average annual earnings of more than $53,000, totaling more than $600 million. Additionally, the average annual manufacturing output in Tulare County is approximately $3.7 billion. Likewise, EMSI forecasts manufacturing jobs will increase 16% in Tulare County by 2019.
WIB Manufacturing Committee: Goals
- Create countywide manufacturing organization
- Improve outreach and marketing of WIB to manufacturers
- Develop pre-apprentice/work-study program for maintenance mechanics incorporating more electrical training to adapt to new technologies
- Organize quarterly manufacturing forums to discuss broader issues in manufacturing
- Create career mapping/pathways for manufacturing jobs, including WorkKeys applications to existing jobs
WIB Manufacturing Committee: Accomplishments to Date
- Initiated quarterly county-wide manufacturing forums
- Initiated development of e-newsletter per committee recommendation
- Exploring partnership with Manufacturing Council of the Central Valley
- Developed WIB's first ever contract with the Employment Training Panel
- Developed multi-phase PLC training with local community colleges
WIB Manufacturing Committee: Members
Meet the WIB
Watch our Video:
Learn about investments we make in workforce training and education.
The Enterprise Zone is LIVE!
The Sequoia Valley Enterprise Zone was formally approved by the State of California, and Tulare County businesses can now take advantage of these incentives. Download a presentation outlining the program here.
WIB Seeking Local Small Manufacturers
The WIB is seeking small, local manufacturers interested in no-cost training for their employees. Training includes topics such as PLC, Leadership, Written Communication, and Industrial Painting.. Email us for more information.